Pageviews from the past week

Wednesday 9 March 2011

In the beggining at Spit n Sawdust our fi wannabe boxers
Why run a boxing club?

As a child boxing was always at the forefront of my mind. My dad was a heavyweight professional boxer back in the late 50's and being an ex-boxer always earnt him respect.. plus the fact he was 6 foot 3 and weighed 18stone. I was a scrawny kid, even my sister who was 2 years younger than me was taller than I was. Having a big dad who was a boxer made people assume I could box so I didn't get a lot of trouble as a child although people assumed I was the best fighter in the school... Until I fought the best fighter in the school and got beaten up.

I started boxing at 11 and left after seeing my friend get a bloody nose in sparring. I was next up to spar and decided that it wasn't for me. I was told by the coach at Bell Green Amatuer Boxing club in Coventry I would never make a boxer and I never went bact to that club. 4 years later I was persuaded to join another club by the a lad called Andrew Christie. Andrew was one of 5 brothers all of whom boxed and won National Titles. 


                                                                         
Errol Christie (Pictured left with 2 youngsters) was thhe most successful of the brothers, won 10 National titles and an amatuer European title. Being amongst champions helps when you want to become a champion yourself. Though it was after leaving the Standard Triumph Club that I achieved most of my success by moving to Banbury. With success comes confidence and with confidence you can achieve anything. This is the reason why I started a boxing club. At this club I can take a child in rebuild his confidence and make him, or her if a female ever signs up to box, a fitter stronger and more confident person. Joining a boxing club is not just about becoming a boxer it can be about finding yourself when there seems to be nothing for you. In Robert Evans we had our own Errol Christie. Robert took 3 attempts to walk up the stairs into Spit n Sawdust and finally decided to come in when there was no one but me here. Robert went on to win 3 National titles back to back and now is modelling for Calvin Klien. He is a bit more confident now

2 comments:

  1. I like to think I helped with his confidence - having someone as cool as me in your gym must have been a great comfort to him... ;->

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why you write books Andy. You have a wicked imagination.

    ReplyDelete